Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Why does the SCTP submenu appeat twice?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 01:11:56 -0400

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 8:50 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2016, at 5:03 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

Well, it's surprising it was added (again) the analyze.

Historically all items in Telephony were in Analyze, which became too
long to be
practical. Therefore all Telephony related items were grouped in their
own menu.
This included SCTP.

So is SCTP a telephony protocol, or is it a protocol intended for general
use that's currently primarily used for telephony?

If the former, I'd put it under Telephony.

If the latter, however, I'd put it under Analyze.

The latter.  It was initially developed in the SIGTRAN working group but
then moved over to the transport working group (I believe that happened
when it was realized that it really was a general-purpose protocol).

I'd /guess/ it's still in the Telephony menu for people expecting to find
it there.