Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Protocol stats list in GUI

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 16:12:47 +0100

With the addition of another protocol statistic [1], I noticed the list of
the various stats is growing long and ugly in the Statistics menu of the
GUIs (both GTK and Qt).  It's also a jumble of generic things such as 'Flow
Graph' and 'Compare...', and protocol-specific stats. And some of those
protocol-specific ones are arguably "niche" protocols - i.e., ones that
only a very small population of Wireshark users would ever use.

Perhaps the protocol-specific ones should be moved to a "Protocol"
sub-menu of Statistics?  Or we could leave HTTP, TCP StreamGraph, and WLAN
Traffic at the Statistics menu level, and move the other protocol-specific
ones to a "Other Protocols" sub-menu?

And Flow Graph isn't really a statistic - perhaps move it to the Analyze
menu?

-hadriel

[1] for DNS in https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/6236/

Hi Hadriel,

this makes sense to me. Your proposal to keep at current level the most
common protocols and push the other ones in a sub menu seems a rather good
tradeoff. BTW it might make sense to move 'Compare' and 'Flow Graph' to the
same group as 'Endpoints', 'Packet Length', 'IO Graph', ...

Regards,
Pascal.