Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Bluetooth and Miscellaneous menus

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:44:48 -0800

On Jan 28, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki () tieto com> wrote:

I want to add new menu in Wireshark for Bluetooth (in February). It
will be menu on the right of "Telephony" in main menu. It will be
named "Bluetooth". For now I have prepared only one entry for this
menu, but I have ideas for another 3 new windows (3 "summary" dialogs
and 1 graph), so I prefer to add Bluetooth menu now, then I will add
new entries/dialogues next month(s). Of course there are ideas for
another features, but those 4 will be done soon.

If there will be a lot of Bluetooth-specific features, they might as well get a top-level menu item.

If we start getting too many top-level menu items, we can think about how to handle that; for now, one more top-level
item seems OK to me.

What do you think? I think only about Qt UI, should I also do that for GTK?

Only if you'll be writing code for both toolkits.  If we can get all the current GUI functionality implemented in Qt
before the 2.0 release, you might want to just write Qt code and not bother with a GTK+ version.

Or there is "RTP Player" in telephony, so it also works for Bluetooth (in
case that is not related to telephony at all so Bluetooth user may do
not know about this functionality).

If it can play audio from any RTP stream, it might also belong in other menu trees, such as the "Miscellaneous" one you
mention.

Also I think about "Miscellaneous" menu for everything that is not
Telephony, Bluetooth or Statistics. I have idea to implement ADB
(Android Debug Bridge) Framebuffer Player. It will play or show frame
of framebuffer found in logs. ADB is currently supported over USB and
TCP layer.

"Miscellaneous"?  "Tools"?  I'm not sure what a good name would be - "not Telephony, Bluetooth or Statistics" defines
it by what it's *not*, which doesn't help say what it *is*.