Wireshark mailing list archives

Announcing sysdig: tcpdump for your host

From: Loris Degioanni <loris () degio org>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 09:33:36 -0700

Wireshark friends,
I’d like to announce sysdig, the latest open source project I’ve been working on together with the team at my new startup, Draios.

http://www.sysdig.org/
https://github.com/draios/sysdig

Sysdig tries to bring the network analysis workflow to Linux system troubleshooting, and is like a mix between tshark, strace and lsof. It lets you capture system events related to network I/O, disk I/O, CPU usage, IPC and much more, and then it lets you decode and filter them as you would do with tshark.

It comes packed with a set of features that I believe the Wireshark community will find very cool: the ability to create system trace files in pcap-ng format, scripting in Lua, a filtering language very similar to what wireshark guys are used to, a libpcap-like capture library that can be used to build new tools on top of the capture infrastructure.
I’d love to hear what you all think.

And, if you do enjoy using sysdig, we could really use your help spreading the word - like by voting or commenting on Hacker News or Reddit, starring our github repo, tweeting at us, or writing a blog post.

Thanks!