Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Building RPMs without building SRPMs?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:35:06 -0500

On 03/05/2013 06:38 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Mar 5, 2013, at 1:35 PM, morriss () wireshark org wrote:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=48105

User: morriss
Date: 2013/03/05 01:35 PM

Log:
Don't have a separate srpm-package target: we already build the SRPM while building the RPM (since r47574).

Is there a compelling reason to build both at once and not to allow building an RPM without building an SRPM?  Ricardo
Pérez's problem wouldn't have occurred had he been able to build an RPM without building an SRPM, right?

I had a couple of reasons for building the SRPM at the same time as the RPM:

1) I like the concept of (always) having the source RPM: that way you're sure you have the source that matches the binary.

2) Adding the SRPM build to the RPM build adds a very minimal amount of time. Doing "make rpm-package srpm-package" doubles the (already significant) time since it would involve doing "make dist" twice as well as two full compiles (from the resulting distribution tarball).

(I'll admit this is my view /now/; when I did r47574 I completely missed the srpm-package target--which is my own fault because I had put that install_desktop_files target in between the two RPM targets. :-|)

Ricardo Pérez's problem is the same as we've discussed here before: you now need the Qt tools to make the source distribution. Here there's the twist that you need to make a source distribution to make the RPM.

(Earlier today I wanted to add a check so that "make dist" would bail out early if you don't have the Qt development packages installed but I couldn't find a way to add a dependency to that (automagic) target. I looked in ui/qt/Makefile.am but got scared off by the AM_V_ variables--just being lazy, I didn't want to go off and read what those were for.)

A *distribution* might want to build both, but if somebody's building an RPM so that people can install their
customized version of Wireshark as a binary (and providing the source as a tarball to anybody who wants it), would allowing
building just the RPM, not the SRPM, be OK?

It would certainly be OK but I think it's nice to always have the source available (certainly makes GPL compliance easier ;-)) and it doesn't add much work (for the computer doing the work).