Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Proposed Gerrit workflow (was: Re: Notes from Sharkfest '13)

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc () petit-huguenin org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:02:18 -0700

On 06/28/2013 07:57 AM, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
On 06/28/2013 07:21 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On 06/22/13 06:47, Bálint Réczey wrote:
Hi All,

2013/6/21 Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc () petit-huguenin org>:

On 06/20/2013 04:52 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jun 20, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin
<marc () petit-huguenin org> wrote:

On 06/20/2013 02:17 PM, Gerald Combs wrote:

Advantates: - I'm not sure that an in-house equivalent (e.g.
Gerrit plus a private repository) would be better than what
Github offers.

Yes, Gerrit is better than github:

Presumably you mean "Gerrit plus a private repository is better
than github", as Gerrit, as far as I can tell, is just software
that works with a Git repository.

Yes, although managing repositories being what Gerrit do, Gerrit
without a least one repository would be a very boring application.
:-)

I have started describing a Gerrit based workflow which IMO would fit
to the project at http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Workflow .
Please check it and share your opinion.

It would probably be good to include how/where patch submitters would
attach other attachments (e.g., sample captures) that go along with
their patch (I spent a little time going through the Gerrit docs and
didn't find anything like that).  (A large portion of the patches we
accept need to have a corresponding test capture file before anyone will
accept it.)

Gerrit does not replace the bug tracker, in fact it complements it, so the
attachments would still be stored in the bug - unless they are used for
something useful for the build, like regression testing, in which case
they would be part of the patchset.

It is possible to configure Gerrit to link automatically to the Bugzilla
bugs:

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#_a_id_trackingid_a_section_trackingid

Also:

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#_a_id_commentlink_a_section_commentlink