Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: new dissector - dynamic value string table?

From: Max Baker <max () warped org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:40:32 -0800

On 02/27/2013 02:07 AM, Gisle Vanem wrote:
"Max Baker" <max () warped org> wrote:

I've created a new dissector for USB PTP
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol) .  This is the
protocol most digital cameras speak over USB.   I've gotten far enough
to do the basic dissection, and I'm pretty stoked on the results!

Just a side-question. Anybody have any experience on USB-snooping
on Windows? Is it possible at all? The page
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB

describes how it's done under Linux. This page
http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/

describes it for Win, but the project seems abandoned. It would
be cool it add usb-sniffing to libpcap or Wireshark itself. Ref. airpcap.

I have been successful in an all-windows environment by :
1.  Running Windows inside of Windows using VMWare
2.  Enabling vmvware's usb logging capabilities
3.  Converting their log into PCAP format and then running wireshark.
I found a script that did this for me, that needed a little bit of
tweaking.   My notes are here : http://nikonhacker.com/wiki/USB_/_PTP

Natively using wireshark is of course much simpler, but requires walking
up stairs and plugging the camera in the linux box :)

h2h,
-m