Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Run dumpcap from wireshark GUI not reading in packet until capture stopped.

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:27:11 -0800

On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Anders Broman <a.broman () bredband net> wrote:

We have numerous bugs and questions about wireshark crashing which looks like they are out-of-memory crashes.
Would it be feasible to add functionality to run dumpcap from the GUI waiting to read the file in until the capture
stops, possibly updating the status bar while the capture is running?
This would correspond to starting a live capture without updating the packet list in real time I suppose.

How would that differ from what happens now if you start a live capture with "Update packet list in real time" not
checked?