Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Reverting proto_tree_reset()

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 13:05:24 +0000

Troubles getting old patch applied are not a problem.

It's just current version of
 epan_dissect_reset() is like epan_dissect_clear() and
 proto_tree_reset() is like proto_tree_clear()
 from https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=1178

 which I'm going to revert (so right now part of this bug is fixed)

Primary question is why this patch was put in BTS, bug report is not very descriptive.

If it's for optimization than my quick benchmarks shows it's not worthy.
If for something else or you have other data, please share.

All information I got is in the Bug report, i.e virtually nothing :-)
It was part of a set of optimizations so I guess that was the intent.
So closing it is porobably the right thing to do.
Regards
Anders