Wireshark mailing list archives

How do display filters work internally?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:41:11 +0100

Hello List,

I fail to understand how display filters work internally. I'm still trying
to get my generic ip.addr filter working, but I seem to lack some understanding
on how display filters work.

It looks like putting an "alien" protocol filter into the hf array will work,
as ip.version inside packet-ipv6.c shows: The field is shown and filterable.
Putting the ip.addr field vom packet-ip.c into all uses of ipv4 addresses
(everything of type FT_IPv4) will show it, but it won't be filterable (neither
existence nor value).

Can someone please fill in some info how display filtering works?

Thanks
   Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>