Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Sample Captures from wireshark repository

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:29:44 -0800

On Feb 16, 2012, at 8:16 PM, vijay wrote:

I downloaded some captures from the Sample Captures page tried reading it in wireshark through a pipe.
I reported "invalid libpcap format" error.

I don't see "invalid libpcap format" anywhere in the Wireshark 1.6.x source; that is probably *NOT* the exact error it
gave.  If you mean "Unrecognized libpcap format", that's an error that means the capture file is *NOT* a libpcap
capture; the *ONLY* files you can capture through a pipe are pcap files.

Are they, in fact, libpcap captures?

But when i directly open the file using wireshark it reads fine. I dont
understand why this happen?

Wireshark can read a number of capture file formats other than pcap format; the other formats can only be read, not
captured through a pipe.

Isnt the file having the global header?

My guess is that the header it has is the header for some format *other* than pcap format.

I tried to do the same thing with my own capture file. This time it worked in both these methods. Could someone
pls tell me why it is?

Probably because your own capture file *is* a pcap file.