Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-users] text2pcap - strange packets after converting a Hex-dump

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard () gtech com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:10:33 +0000 (UTC)

Ullmann, Robert <robert.ullmann@...> writes:

we need to convert a hex dump written with tshark to a pcap-file to replay the
packets.
We’re capturing http-streams and write them as hex.
When we use text2pcap to convert it to pcap format, the output of text2pcap is
with no error – the packets got written successfully.

The strange thing happens, when we replay the pcap or just let tshark read the
pcap file.
The most packets are told to be malformed. Sometimes we also find f.e.
hsrp-packets.
What are we doing wrong ?

Capturing packets with: “tshark  -i eth1 –n port 443 –V –R http” (we see the
http stream/ packets)
Writing to file: “tshark  -i eth1 –n port 443 –V –R http | grep -e
"^[0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f]" > file_hex.dump”

Maybe you already solved this yourself by now or no longer have the need for a
solution, but it looks to me like you're missing the tshark -x option.