Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Nettl HP-UX

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:26:39 -0700

On Jun 17, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Andrej van der Zee wrote:

What tool would you recommend for the conversion?

I'd try editcap, telling it to write a pcap-ng file.

Unfortunately it gives me the same error:

andrej@amd64:/usr/local/src/wireshark-1.6.0$
/usr/local/src/wireshark-1.6.0/editcap  /tmp/test.nettl -F  pcapng
/tmp/test.pcap
editcap: Error writing to /tmp/test.pcap: Files from that network type
can't be saved in that format

OK, the problem is that, for many nettl packets types, the encapsulation includes nettl metadata, and that can't be
written to a pcap file.

Fixing that would probably require changing the wiretap library to, instead of having a single link-layer type for
files/packets, having the type be (at least) an ordered pair, with metadata type and link-layer type being separated,
and allowing files of type {metadata type XXX, link-layer type YYY} to be written out in file formats that support only
{no metadata, link-layer type YYY}.

The short-term workaround would be to modify editcap to map some of the WTAP_ENCAP_NETTL_ encapsulations to equivalent
encapsulations supported by pcap/pcap-ng, and to discard the nettl pseudo-header information.