Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: MacOSX installation and /dev/bpf permissions

From: Ray Wilson <wilsonhaven () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:57:23 -0600

Sudo works to. Changing the device file is awkward. Cheers.

On 2/13/11, Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 08:43:31AM -0700, Ed Young wrote:

Can I execute chmod to change the /dev/bpf* permissions?

Yes.

If so, what should they be? 755?

You need to be able to read from the bpf device, so either change the
owner to be your username or group to be a group that you're in and give
read permission to that.  I've always preferred the letter syntax: chmod
u+r /dev/bpf* gives user read permission without changing the other
permissions (that's chmod 400 /dev/bpf* for an absolute user read only /
no access for others for the octally inclined).

--
Sent from my mobile device

To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate
the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life.

-- T. S. Eliot (1888-1965)