Wireshark mailing list archives

Using regular expression match as custom column

From: William <wnatter () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:17:19 -0500

Hello,

With Wireshark, I can't seem to be able to do either of these:
1. Export to file the exact contents of the columns that are displayed and
nothing more
2. Create a custom column that contains the results of a matched regular
expression, e.g.:

    tcp.data starts with "HEAD /reports/packages/rg.wsh?notification_who=
noc () isp net&notification_cc="

Regular expression of interest in this case: "notification_who=([^&]+)&"
This would display the following data: noc () isp net

I actually have other information to display, but the mechanism I'm asking
about would be very powerful, and I have seen nothing about it or anything
similar in your wiki.

Sincerely,
William