Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Strange problem

From: Chris Maynard <chris.maynard () gtech com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:52:25 +0000 (UTC)

Someone Somebody <temp4746@...> writes:

I noticed it during a long download , my connection falls for a second and
then goes back up (happens on all computers both wired and wireless). Which also
kills the download (non-resumable server) checking in wireshark and the windows
event logs it seems the router is sending a dhcp nak (dhcp nack) which doesn't
seem normal to me. and then the computer redoes the dhcp request/discovery
process.

What is the configured lease time for IP's that the router hands out?  Just a
thought, but it sounds like it might be set very low.  The NAK might be because
your device is requesting a lease time that the router determines is
unacceptable.