Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Short question for modus operandi

From: Chris Maynard <chris.maynard () gtech com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:40:44 +0000 (UTC)

Roland Knall <rknall@...> writes:

I have provided some time ago a patch for submission into wireshark
(Bug #5753). Over the course of the next two weeks a new version of
this patch would be completed, which would enable the dissector to
talk Modbus/TCP as well. But this version would be very preliminary,
and not stable for a longer time.

"Not stable" or "not complete"?  I think incomplete dissectors are OK as they
can always be improved upon later as time permits, but unstable is not
acceptable.

Should I remove the current patch and resubmit it with the changes, or
should I wait until this version of the patch gets submitted (which is
pretty stable right now), and then submit the changes?

The latest patch you provided seems to have been reviewed by Guy, Jeff and
Jakub.  I *think* it's probably close to the point of being accepted, so I'd say
rather than introducing another patch that "might not be stable for a longer
time", that you should hold off until after this patch has been accepted.
Another patch at this point might prolong the time it takes to be accepted, but
I guess it depends somewhat on the extent of your new changes and if you really
meant "not complete" rather than "not stable".