Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: non-ASCII stuff in manuf

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:51:16 -0800

On Nov 10, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Thomas Boehne wrote:

On 10/26/2010 11:32 AM, Thomas Boehne wrote:
I contacted them a couple of times concerning this, but the requests
would either not be answered at all or were forwarded to people that
could not fix the problem. I will try it again today, or probably call
them until I finally reach somebody that can help.

After sending a bunch of emails to IEEE explaining the problem in
detail, they finally changed the database entries today.

The bad news is that they are now _both_ displayed incorrectly on the
web page (if the browser decides to display the page as unicode).

The good new is that they are both displayed _correctly_ in wireshark,
since make-manuf decodes the database as iso-8859-1.

Does that mean "they finally changed the database entries today, but they changed it to be in ISO 8859-1"?

If so, what do they propose to do about, say, the entry for TTC TELEKOMUNIKACE Ltd - Czech doesn't use ISO 8859-1;
their address is
Třebohostická 987/5, 100 00 Praha 10, but there's no LATIN SMALL LETTER R with any diacritical mark in 8859-1, and, not
surprisingly, whilst Safari, at least, either gets told that the page is in 8859-1 or infers it from the contents, and
displays Jäger Computergesteuerte Messtechnik GmbH's entry correctly:

00-50-C2        (hex)           Jäger Computergesteuerte Messtechnik GmbH
0A2000-0A2FFF   (base 16)       Jäger Computergesteuerte Messtechnik GmbH
                                Rheinstraße 2-4
                                Lorsch Hessen 64653
                                GERMANY

it displays TTC TELEKOMUNIKACE Ltd's address as junk:

00-50-C2        (hex)           TTC TELEKOMUNIKACE Ltd
3D7000-3D7FFF   (base 16)       TTC TELEKOMUNIKACE Ltd
                                T�ebohostick� 987/5, Prague 10
                                Prague  CZ-100 00
                                CZECH REPUBLIC