Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark or dumpcap ring buffer limitations

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:01:57 -0700

Jeff Morriss wrote:
I think a value of 50000 or 65535 would make sense for
RINGBUFFER_MAX_NUM_FILES. We could also just print a warning like "Wow!
That's a lot of files!" instead of forcibly capping the value.
I would think that if we continue to support files:0 (unlimited files)
then it makes more sense to just put out a warning.  That would be
better than forcing them to choose between unlimited (and possibly
running out of disk space) and N files (which, as in this users case,
wasn't enough).

Well, maybe not since we have to store all those file names...

I increased RINGBUFFER_MAX_NUM_FILES to 100000 in r32998, along with
printing warnings when the number is large or if we change it.

--
Join us for Sharkfest ’10! · Wireshark® Developer and User Conference
Stanford University, June 14-17 · http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.10/