Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Bandwith consumption

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:18:19 +1100

Salvatore,

Bandwidth is a little bit in the eye of the beholder. The difference between
IP bandwidth (byte of IP protocol per second) and Ethernet bandwidth
(Ethernet bytes per second) would depend on whether you are just talking
about the bytes sent up from the NIC to the driver or also including the
time taken up by the full preamble and trailing CRC and interframe gap. You
might want to refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet#Physical_layer to
realise how difficult this is to define precisely without some other
statement.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Salvatore Frandina <