Wireshark mailing list archives

Packet Dissector - Generate multiple entries in Packet List

From: Gus Ishere <gus.is.here () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:15:17 -0400

Greetings,

I am in the process of writing a protocol dissector in Lua for a proprietary
protocol. This protocol can have multiple "subpackets" within a single UDP
packet. I have successfully written the dissector for the case when there is
only a single subpacket in a UDP packet.

Is there a way for a single UDP packet to produce several entries in the
packet list? I think that I would have a dissector for the entire UDP
packet, which would then identify the subpackets and pass these through a
subpacket dissector. I think this is what would make most sense in analyzing
this protocol, but I am open to other methods.

Thank you,
Gustavo