Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: not able to decode TCAP/GSM_MAP/GSM_SMS protocol layers

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:51:07 -0400

Zak, Pavel wrote:
Hi,

I currently have wireshark 1.2.9 and I’m not able to decode M3UA traffic
exchanged between SMSC and STP. Decoding ends up on
ETH/IP/SCTP/M3UA/SCCP layer and the rest is non decoded raw data.

Could anyone tell me what’s wrong in the traffic? Please see HTML output
bellow (left side correctly decoded, right side incorrectly).

The message on the right has no SSNs in the SCCP Called/Calling
addresses.  Wireshark uses the SSN to know that the message is TCAP (as
opposed to some other upper-layer protocol).

I suppose that if this is really a problem SCCP could have a preference
for a "default" upper layer protocol if none is found via SSNs.