Wireshark mailing list archives

Measuring bandwidth, bad packets, latency

From: JM <hondgm () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 06:25:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
We're going to do some Ethernet physical layer testing, basically testing the effects of different types of cable (for
industrial/automotive).  For the most part, this will simply involve a single link with varying qualities of cable
between the two PCs.

Since I've already used Wireshark to analyze packets, I was thinking maybe it could also do this.  I've done some
searching, but didn't find much.  What I'd like to have is two computers, or maybe just one with two NICs, send traffic
through the link and report what the throughput, latency, error rate, etc is.

If Wireshark isn't able to do this, or if an add-on isn't available, does anyone have any suggestions?  Free/open
source is of course preferred.