Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Identification of Fragmented UDP Packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:53:55 -0800

On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:34 PM, Eddie wrote:

I foolishly followed the WireShark manual, and followed it's
instructions, for tcpdump, to capture the complete packets.  Except it
doesn't.  LOL

Frame Length:  1514
Capture Length:  1500

That'll prevent reassembly.  It couldn't reassemble the packet - there was data missing at the end of the first
fragment, so there'd be a hole in the middle of the reassembled packet.

Maybe the doc needs updating.  :)

The doc probably needs *fixing*; it was probably *never* wrong.  Even *before* "-s 0" was supported by tcpdump, "-s
65535" worked (and Wireshark/TShark/dumpcap without "-s", and "tcpdump -s 0", do the exact same thing at the
libpcap/WinPcap layer that "tcpdump -s 65535" do).  "Use the MTU with -s" is not only too much work (picking a value
that's too big should be just fine, except perhaps with really old versions of libpcap on some OSes), it's also
misleading, as you don't want the "MTU" in the sense of the biggest *payload*, you want the maximum *link-layer* packet
size.

Where is that in the Wireshark manual?  I'll look at fixing it.