Wireshark mailing list archives

RTP captured packets

From: kyriakos lioulios <klioulios () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:32:22 +0200

Hello,

I have an inquiry. Hope i am using the correct way to communicate as  i was
a bit confused with the lists.

Anyway, I am using a wireshark PC that is capturing traffic between two
gateways.

Even though the signalling seems to be ok between the gateways when it comes
to speech patch it just does not have any.
Checked the number of RTP packets sent from both sides and it seems that one
gateway sends much less RTP packets than the other.

I checked this through tab Telephony-->RTP-->show all streams.

I also checked the RTCP packets exchanged between the two gateways. The
number of sent packets written inside match the number displayed at
wireshark.(meaning that confirm the big difference)

So i would like to know how the number of packets that are displayed in
wireshark through path Telephony-->RTP-->show all streams for each stream
are calculated.

Is it through the context of the RTCP messages exchanged between the
gateways?or wireshark just calculates the RTP packets that are captured at
its interface from each gateway?

The scope of this question is to determine whether there is anything wrong
with the gateway itself and does not send RTP packets or the RTP packets
leave the gateway and are somehow lost in the switch for example.

My thoughts are that RTCP messages carry info/statistics  that are sent from
each gateway where the number of packets that are displayed through the
statistics of wireshark are counted from the tool and not through the RTCP
messages. Please inform me if i am correct though.

I would appreciate it alot and i really hope i have not confused you.

Thank you

BR