Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How much overhead does a Wireshark capture file contain ?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:18:28 -0500

Henry Meleg wrote:
So I need to measure the traffic in bytes between two endpoints. If I
set up Wireshark on a laptop whose interface is enabled for promiscuous
mode and specify a capture filter between the source and destination IP
addresses that I am interested in and capture to a file then will that
file size be an accurate reflection of the traffic between the two endpoint.

Does Wireshark add any overhead to the capture file that I need to take
into account by subtracting it from the captured file size to get a
accurate traffic figure which I require to set up bandwidth management
filters.

The PCAP file format has both a per-file header and a per-packet header.
  For details, see:

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat