Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Routines for registering dissectors with a "portnumber", and looking up dissectors by "port number", renamed

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 01:00:11 -0800

On Dec 19, 2010, at 10:37 PM, news.gmane.com wrote:

Well, that meens, any dissector DLL that uses this function stops working
with the next revision of libwireshark.dll

We have never guaranteed that a dissector built for Wireshark major version 1.x will work with the development version
1.{x+1} or the next major release 1.{x+2}.  We only guarantee that a dissector built for 1.x will work with 1.x.y, i.e.
that stability will be preserved for all minor releases corresponding to a given major release.

I hope the new function names become stable, so that someday a Wireshark API
can be defined.

It takes more than just stable function names for a stable API.  It requires that:

        for any function, its signature not change (no added or removed parameters);

        no function be removed;

        no incompatible change to any arguments for a function be made.