Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: u3 not installing winpcap

From: Phillip Pi <ant () zimage com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 07:23:12 -0700

Wow, U3 too? Portable version has the same problem and I mentioned it a
few days ago. The question was this by design for a reason (legal
issues?) or a bug?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 04:53:04PM -0400, Matthew Morgan wrote:
Hi, I'd been using the U3 version of wireshark a (long) while ago, and
it stopped automatically installing winpcap.  I hadn't used it for a
while, but I find myself in need of it again, so I removed it and
installed the latest version (1.2.10) from the website.

As before, it asks me if I want to install winpcap, but nothing actually
pops up.  When I click yes, it immediately continues loading wireshark,
which of course doesn't work.  Does anyone have an idea how I can get
that working again?  It's so much nicer for it to automatically install
and remove winpcap than for me to have to do it manually.

Here are my U3 specs as displayed by my "about U3" dialog.

U3 Launchpad Version: 1, 4, 0, 2
Device Version 3.27
ADAPI Version 4.5.2.0 Unicode