Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

From: Lee <ler762 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 14:59:53 -0400

One difference between the $1K tap and the DIY version might be that
the expensive one will work wherever you put it in your network.

The DIY version instructions to
  Strip the cat 5 cable and untwist all the individual wires.
I believe makes it not cat 5 any more.  It's probably still good
enough for it's intended purpose - ie. at home & cheap - but maybe not
such a great idea to use on a critical link at work.  (which isn't
going to stop me from trying to make one myself :)

Thanks for the link to the DIY taps - I hadn't seen those before.

Regards,
Lee