WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Security

From: Zack Peters <zackpeters75 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
<jfernandez () germinus com> wrote:

mahendra_yn () yahoo com dijo:
Hi all,

I need to harden a web application which is hosted
in a datacentre.I
need to monitor the webapplication 24/7.I also
need to ensure that
there would be no phising attacks on this
website,I know there are a
couple of 3rd party web application firewalls
available which can do
all this,but the question is will the datacentre
allow me to do
this-as a 3rd party service provider?if it doesnt
allow then what are
the other best options available for me.

3rd-party WAFs will actually prevent *some* phishing
attacks they
probably cannot cover all possible XSS attacks,
since these are really
application-dependant.

The other option from a Web Application Firewall is to
use a black box tester and look for vulnerabilities
within your Web application. I personally think that
is a better approach since you are "fixing" the source
of potential vulnerabilities rather than "hiding" them
behind a firewall. The solution that has met my needs
and which I would recommend is Cenzic's Hailstorm. I
have been very happy with the vulnerabilties they have
found. (well, not really happy with the vulns but
happy that I discovered them before someone else did).

Zack