WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Deploying WAFs In Listening-Only Mode - Waste of Money?

From: "Ryan Barnett" <rcbarnett () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:42:05 -0500

On Jan 12, 2008 5:32 PM, Andre Gironda <andreg () gmail com> wrote:
Deploying WAFs at all - Waste of Money?

Answer: Not if you just made a check-mark on a PCI-DSS audit

Since you mentioned PCI...  I did a recent Blog post on section 6.6
(http://www.modsecurity.org/blog/archives/2007/12/pci_requirement.html
) and it appears to me that the spirit of this section is to implement
some form of remediation to help "prevent" web-based attacks.  If you
look at the audit procedure document (
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_audit_procedures_v1-1.pdf)
it essentially states that either option you chose for 6.6 has to
result in prevention of attacks.  If you choose the code review route,
then you also must have actually fixed the code as well.  Just showing
a PCI auditor a list of vulns identified by a code review, code
scanner or web app scanner will not suffice.  The auditor is suppose
to obtain proof the the code has also been fixed.  If not, then I
don't see how you could get a "check mark" here and pass 6.6.  On the
flip side, if you chose the WAF route, it also states that it needs to
be "preventing" attacks which seems to me to mean that it has to be be
doing some form of blocking.  The details of exactly what must be
blocked is a bit hazy (although I would assume that you must be
blocking both SQL Injection and XSS vulns/attacks as those two
categories are the only 2 high vulns that would result if a failure of
other sections of PCI such as 6.5).

I guess that this topic is slightly ahead of the curve since 6.6 is
considered "Best Practice" right now, however this will be changing in
abount 5 months...

Are there any PCI auditors on this list that care to comment on this issue?

--
Ryan C. Barnett
ModSecurity Community Manager
Author: Preventing Web Attacks with Apache