WebApp Sec mailing list archives

FW: Anti-DDoS Appliance with a focus on Web Code Exploits (Comment Spam, and the like)

From: "Brokken, Allen P." <BrokkenA () missouri edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:24:45 -0500

The biggest problem you are going to run into in this scenario is SSL
encrypted sites.  Even if you put in IDS/IPS or other network appliances
you won't be able to inspect the traffic.

Since you know your code is rotten, and don't expect to be able to fix
it any time soon I would suggest an SSL proxy based Web Application
Firewall.  In this case all of the requests hit the proxy incoming as
SSL, but are decrypted, inspected, and then dropped or passed on to your
Web App.  Most of the modern ones have the behavior recognition you are
expecting, as well as the ability to track basic field limits going out
and then verify if something coming back is within spec.

I did a paper eval a year ago so my info is old.  I would suggest
searching for a Web Application Firewall that uses the Proxy
configuration.  It will be quick and a powerful deterrent, but could
cost some dollars.  I've heard of people growing their own LINUX based
proxy's with SQUID and SNORT to do something similar, but since you
mention IIS and not having time to redo you code, I doubt you have time
to home brew Web App firewall.

Also I would recommend looking into both BlackBox security testing tools
and static analysis eventually to prevent developing new rotten code.

Allen Brokken, Principal Systems Security Analyst
Information Security and Account Management
Division of Information Technology, University of Missouri
brokkena () missouri edu (573)884-8708