WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Protecting posted variables

From: billy.sailing () gmail com
Date: 21 Jul 2006 05:31:01 -0000

Hey all,

A 'fixing the problem question'...

Outside of encrypting in SSL, how can variables being posted from the browser back to the server be protected from
prying eyes?

During previous pentests, I've seen variables being posted to a webserver (IIS6.0 is  one I remember this with) all
hashed together. I don't think that any special client-side software was used, it was a function of the site....

Can anyone help in identifying what it was that I saw in operation? - The only solution I can see is that it was the
AspKeepSessionIDSecure Metabase Property

(ref:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/0d49cbc8-10e1-4fa8-ba61-c34e524a3ae6.mspx?mfr=true)

with the variables posted in with the sessionid?

Also, is this type of solution available in any other webserver?

Any help gratefully recieved...

Thanks..