WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection

From: skarvin <skarvin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:19:41 +0200

Hi,

In my blog I have a simple list of steps to do this. It follows the
CERT's checklist (
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/intruder_detection_checklist.html ) to
detect an intrussion and I've added more instructions to do this task.
http://skarvin.blogspot.com/2006/06/pasos-seguir-para-detectar-una.html

I hope this is helpfull for you.

PD: It's in spanish :)

On 7/10/06, David Robert <david31900 () rogers com> wrote:
Hello all,

I've been reading this list for some time and I can't help but notice that
there is a lot of information and discussion about securing systems, but
very little about how to detect if you *are* compromised.

This one of my major concerns.  I can advocate all kinds of practices and
procedures, but eventually someone will get through.  So how can I tell?
Especially if they are trying not to leave traces?

Is there a few very simple, dumb things that everyone should do in this
regard?  If so, then I haven't heard them.  If you could list them, or point
me to some good resources, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Securing a web application goes far beyond testing the application using
manual processes, or by using automated systems and tools. Watchfire's
"Web Application Security: Automated Scanning or Manual Penetration
Testing?" whitepaper examines a few vulnerability detection methods -
specifically comparing and contrasting manual penetration testing with
automated scanning tools. Download it today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=701500000008Vmm

--
Un saludo,

skarvin