WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: "Popowycz, Alex" <Alex.Popowycz () fmr com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:35:25 -0400

In reading this thread, one thing that strikes me is that there is an
inconsistent merging of the various aspects of the problem.  First,
IMHO, we need to recognize that each of us as carbon based life forms
have various identities, not just one.  I may have an identity as an
employee, a customer, etc.  That should remain unique and distinct from
the way that I can prove and re-prove that I am the "owner" of a given
identity consistently and with an appropriate level of integrity within
the context of what I'm trying to do.

So, given this is a two-factor authentication on the web thread, the
discussion is really based on increasing the integrity of the
authentication as compared to traditional single factor (e.g. static
password) methods.  Let's not confuse the notion that I may want to be
daffyduck () yahoo com, strongly authentication (or stronly anonymous as
the case may be) vs. Joe Smith, credit card holder.

Having stated that, there is a progression of means to increase the
integrity of the reuse and reverification of an established identity.
The combination of the two is what provides me the baseline of my
security decision.  But the answers of which security method is better
than another is relative for the purpose in which it's being used.  To
respond more specifically to the notion that biometrics "prove" or don't
prove who you are, they really only establish a verification to the
bound underlying identity in a fairly secure manner (when properly
implemented, see legal disclaimer below, your results may vary, not
available in every state so the exclusions may not apply to you)