WebApp Sec mailing list archives

OT: Win2k3 logging the IP address of failed FTP attempts

From: "Ian" <webappsec2 () fishnet co uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:51:23 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the slightly off topic question but I find myself at a loss and would like to query
your collective intelligence.

We have a win2k3 web server which hosts a few hundred domains.  Recently I have
noticed a load of brute force attempts against the administrator account coming from
China. Not unusual but today I noticed ;)

Unfortunately the IP address is not logged to the event log so I have had to use
TCPView from SysInternals to figure out where they are coming from so I can block
them at the firewall. (Easier than looking through the FTP logs of a hundred+ sites.)

Does anyone know of a way to get the IP address into the event log? I have all the
auditing rules switched on (ie. success,failure) but with no results.

I wish to get the IP address so I could then automate the blocking of IPs for a set period
of time.

Sorry to post this here but a full work day of googling has left me with nothing.

Regards

Ian