WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re; Comparison report on web app security scanners

From: <jack.jonburg () hushmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:52:25 -0400

First off great bit of work. Its about time marketing crap is
sliced up like a hot turd it is.

My German is not that great. Can I assume the basic summary from
page 149 is as follows?

Sanctum / Watchfire could only find 1 in 5 issues or 20%
WebInspect about 6%
Accuntix was so bad it wasn't worth reporting results

All had so many false positives it wasnt funny. This basicaly
echoes Arian Evans great work presented at OWASP last year so is
consistent with what I hear from people who have bought these
things and used them and polar opposite from the marketing hype.

What I didnt see was a comparison of types of issues ie bugs and
flaws? I imagine they are basically all at 0% on flaws but ....

so based on this I know where my money is not going on my renewal
license. I suspected this all along but never knew how to proove
it.

Again great stuff !

As I had mentioned in another posting to this list some time ago, a
few months ago I completed a fairly extensive review of various
tools: AppScan, WebInspect, Acunetix, (note AppScan and WebInspect
have produced new versions since then), Burp, WebScarab, Spike
Proxy, and some minor remarks on a few other tools. I used two
applications as
benchmarks: WebGoat and a proprietary application in production
use.
The report totals to about 170 pages.

A number of people have expressed their interest in this report.
Today I have finally attained a publication permit. You can
download the report at http://fhgonline.fraunhofer.de/server?suche-
publica&num=048.06/D&iese
(that page will give the abstract and bibliographic information;
click on the red link named "Volltext" to get at the actual PDF).
However, note that the report is in German. I regret that I do not
have the time to translate it, but anyone is invited to volunteer
(and some people already have). If you want to help in translating,
drop me a line (this applies even to those who already did, just to
give me an updated picture); I will collect all volunteer addresses
and distribute them next week, and from then on, you'll be on your
own.

Kind regards,
Holger Peine

--
Dr. Holger Peine, Security and Safety
Fraunhofer IESE, Fraunhofer-Platz 1, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany

The Twelve Most Common Application-level Hack Attacks
Hackers continue to add billions to the cost of doing business
online
despite security executives' efforts to prevent malicious attacks.
This
whitepaper identifies the most common methods of attacks that we
have seen,
and outlines a guideline for developing secure web applications.
Download this whitepaper today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=70130000000
7t9r
------

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485