WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Meaning of "disabling browser caching"

From: smith.norton () gmail com
Date: 9 May 2006 09:13:54 -0000

<%
        response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
        response.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
        response.setDateHeader("Expires", -1);
%>

I used this code in a JSP script. I am facing a problem. I navigated from this page (say Page 1) to another page (say
Page 2).

Then, I tried to use the back button of Page 2 to get back to Page 1. The Page 1 appeared.

But if this code is meant to disable browser caching, Page 2 shouldn't have appeared?

Can anyone tell me exactly what disabling browser caching means?