WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Is logoff feature necessary

From: "Alexander Bolante" <alexander.bolante () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:57:43 -0700

The purpose of logging out is to terminate your session. The settings
vary from app to app, but yes, sessions can be terminated by closing
the browser or from session inactivity after a certain number of idle
minutes have passed. But from a security standpoint, I would not say
it's unnecessary. For best practices and standard security policies,
it's usually more than just a 'nice-to-have' depending on your
business and data requirements.

For example, again, depending on your app, maybe your site license
limits you to a few simultaneous users. Logging out is important
because it will complete your session, allowing another user to access
the app. If you do not properly log out and the max number of users
are using the app, no one else will be able to use the app until your
session expires.

Cheers!

On 2 May 2006 07:41:02 -0000, test.future () gmail com