WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Is logoff feature necessary

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:24:21 +0200

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 2. Mai 2006 09:41 schrieb test.future () gmail com:
We have a web applicaiton which do not have logoff button. The developer
claims that it is unnecessary, since the session can be terminated by
closing the browser. Is it correct? Thanks.

When the browser is closed, it usually loses its session token (e. g.
a cookie), so the browser has no way to re-enter the session.

However, on the server side the session will persist until it times
out. So if someone steals the session token, he can continue using the
session even if the original user closes his browser.

So technically what your developer says is *not* correct.

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany