WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: OT: Inserting Ads without breaking the SSL

From: 7269 () sagedrive com
Date: 27 Apr 2006 06:48:57 -0000

I tried it in Sunnyvale.  Looks to me like Metrofi free service breaks the SSL.  The "lock" icon on the browser is not
there, and the URL the browser shows has been mangled and has no "https" in it.  My guess is they run a proxy in their
network that acts as the SSL endpoint, and the connection between user and proxy is unsecured HTTP.

If I'm right, this is a major nastiness to spring on unsuspecting users.  Sites that the user normally uses in SSL mode
-- email, banking, etc. -- are exposed both over the air and on Metrofi's network.  I hope I'm wrong.