WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] 4 Questions: Latest IE vulnerability, Firefox vs IE security, User vs Admin risk profile, and browsers coded in 100% Managed Verifiable code

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:25:42 -0500

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 11:39:19 GMT, Dinis Cruz said:

Finally, you might have noticed that whenever I talked about 'managed
code', I mentioned 'managed and verifiable code', the reason for this
distinction, is that I discovered recently that .Net code executed under
Full Trust  can not be (or should not be) called 'managed code', since
the .Net Framework will not verify that code (because it is executed
under Full Trust). This means that I can write MSIL code which breaks
type safety and execute it without errors in a Full Trust .Net environment.

I'm not sure which is stronger at the moment, the "that's scary" implications
or the "why did they *bother*?" implications....