WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Compliance

From: "Lyal Collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:03:12 +1100

I don't think many people think PCI is perfection (apart from marketing,
perhaps:-)
It seems to be reasonable, affordable mix of requirements that strives to be
technology neutral.

PCI already has about 4 layers of compliance needs, depending upon the
annual volume of cards processed.  These range from 'be careful' (very small
volumes) to self assessment through to on-site accredited audits and
vuln-scanning ( >6million cards pa).

Technology and architeecture nuerality is a  critical constraint in my view
its easier to write a specific document for a single software architecture
and product/tech mix.
There is a very broad variety o ecomm archictures and techo/product mixes ot
there - one client I work with (150 people and quite profitable) has an
issue that a single PCI compliance aspect will cost around 5% of annual
revenue (not profit) plus 12-20 person months to fix in 1 for just of their
3 payment processing 'streams' due to legacy impacts from decisions made
years ago.  In this single casse, a lack of well developed and robust
products APIs etc in the market, plus architecture choices made before
PCI/CISP et all were dreamt of continue to impact, meaning ustom APIs and
code redevelopment or platfrom replacement is needed.

So I stand by the view that PCI al-la '2005-style' is a good start, but we
will continually need to get better security, at the level and pace that the
business can afford.
Since security people are generally bad at getting money to spend (or spend
wisely in many cases), an industry wide driver approach is, in my view a
good thing to get corporate commmittment.

Will PCI fix all card security today - no; the majority of the reported
compromises of card details over the past 18 months stem from failures of
technology or process at card scheme members (i.e banks) who are not
required to comply with PCI/AIS/CISP/SDP.

The PCI of, say 2010, won't be the PCI of today - but I bet this current
debate could happen then much as it is happening now - security is never
perfect, just good enough for the risks the business is prepared to spend
on!

Lyal