WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Security training of developers and company liability

From: "Jason Gregson" <Jason.Gregson () easyi com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:47:30 -0000

Afternoon

I am not a teacher/lawyer but I would say that if any of your students
use any of these tools in anger on the premises of where they are being
taught,  that you will be liable regardless of whether they sign a
waiver or not. If they do use these tools outside the premises you would
not be liable.

If you train someone how to fire a pistol accurately - are you
responsible for them acquiring a stolen firearm and then taking
someone's life?

Have you had a look at the Computers Misuse Act 1990
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990/Ukpga_19900018_en_1.htm

If the students are attempting to gain access to DATA without
permission, they are breaking the law.

1.-(1) A person is guilty of an offence if-
 (a) he causes a computer to perform any function with intent to secure
access to any program or data held in any computer;

This is not legal advice, just my opinion. My two pence worth.

Regards

Jason Gregson