WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: limits of end-user "testing"

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:23:20 +0100

Kurt Seifried wrote:

a) have two factor transaction signing (SMS or token based) to prevent unauthorized transfers via phishing

This doesn't prevent phishing per se. I can setup a phishing site that acts as a man in the middle proxy to the bank's site. You log into my site, I log into the bank's site, get a challenge, send the number to you the victim, you reply and I forward it to the bank, voila.

It doesn't prevent phishing, but it raises the bar quite a bit. Notice that a MITM for a bank needs to be crafted _for_that_bank in particular, compare that against the current status in which most phishing attacks are just based off the same template, with the same tools, that do not have to know of the bank's application logic but just mirror its aspect.

Granted, once you have C/R systems everywhere attackers will focus on it and, "attacks always get easier, they never get worse" (Scheneier dixit). That means that you will eventually have phishing toolkits too. In the meantime, however, attackers will still go for easier targets (banks with passwords that can be stored either through fake sites or trojans). So banks can expect fraud to go down a bit.

Just my 2c

Javier