WebApp Sec mailing list archives

CLR Stored Procedures

From: nitin patel <kota_44 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 00:18:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi ,

Got a doubt regarding new feature in SQL 2005 .

Security wise genrally we discourage use of powerfull
stored procedures like xp_cmdshell from our
stored Procedure code and drop them if they are not
requierd .
If it all they are requierd it is recommended to have
access check on those stored procs calling these
powerfull SP's.

In Sql 2005 one can write CLR stored procedures and
produce same functionallity as xp_cmdshell.

My Doubts -

1) Security wise which one should be preferred ( CLR
or XP_) and why?

2) In case of using CLR stored procedures what are
   security pros and cons .

From what i found it gives more control but is that
controll good enough to recommend it as a secure
alternative .

Thanks in Advance
Nitin

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs