WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: HTTP REFERER not set in Internet Explorer

From: "Dean H. Saxe" <dean () fullfrontalnerdity com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:42:15 -0500

IIRC, the Referer header is not required by HTTP/1.1. Never count on it being there. If you are dependent on it for security, remember it is easily spoofed.

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CEH
dean () fullfrontalnerdity com
"I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it."
    -- Thomas Paine, 1783