WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: J2EE Application Security Code Review

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:41:45 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Yousef Syed [mailto:yousef.syed () gmail com]

[...]
Can someone please advise me on what I should be looking for?
Where can I get further information on the procedure that
should be followed? Are there any Standards/Best Practices
for Securing J2EE applications?

Yousef, here's a list of resources I provide developers; it
includes links to other people's book lists as well. Many
items on here are Java-specific:

Resources on Application and Software Security

:::Web-Based Resources:::

OWASP (Open Web Application Security Project):
Focus: Whitepapers, Guidelines, Free Tools
http://www.owasp.org

WASC (Web Application Security Consortium)
Focus: Whitepapers, Research, Standards/Definitions
http://www.webappsec.org
http://www.webappsec.org/web_security_books.shtml (webappsec books)

Java Passion
Focus: J2EE, Security, Webappsec, OWASP Top-10
http://www.javapassion.com/j2ee/WebApplicationSecurity4.pdf
http://www.javapassion.com/j2ee/WebSecurityThreatsAndCounterMeasures4.pdf
http://www.javapassion.com/j2eeadvanced/index0.html#SyallbusforAdvanced
(on the last link search for "Advanced J2EE Security"; nice list of resources)

Threats and Countermeasures
Focus: Info on Patterns (attack/defense, and practice patterns) and Threat Modeling
http://www.threatsandcountermeasures.com

Improving Web Application Security: Threats and Countermeasures
Focus: MS Centric, but good info, as book or updated web-based document:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/ThreatCounter.asp

TRIKE:
Focus: Threat Modeling
http://dymaxion.org/trike/index.shtml

Foundstone .NET toolkit
Focus: Free tools
www.foundstone.com/resources/proddesc/s3itoolkit.htm

:::Books on Application and Software Security:::

---------------Threat Modeling-----------------------

Threat Modeling, MS Press
http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6892.asp

----------Designing/Building Secure Apps---------

Secure Coding: Principles & Practices (High Level overview book):
http://www.securecoding.org/book/press.php

Security Engineering: A Guide to Designing Dependable,
-Distributed Applications, Ross Anderson
(Still one of the best security design and architecture books written)
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

The Software Vulnerability Guide:

----------------Writing Secure Code-----------------

19 Deadly Sins of  Software Security
(Mostly a "Things Not to Do" book with examples/case studies)

-Subset Unmanaged code

Secure Coding, 2nd Edition, MS Press (C/C++ oriented but
covers a wide variety of issues MS-centric)
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/5957.asp

-Subset: Java

Building Secure Software, Hoglund and McGraw
(Secure Coding book, Java-centric)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/020172152X/

-Subset: .NET

---------------Attacking Software---------------------

-Subset: All

Exploiting Software: How to Break Code , Hoglund and McGraw

How to Break Software, Whittaker

How to Break Software Security, by Whittaker, Thompson & Thompson
(This is more how to test/break software locally, think fat-client
software in a sandbox/vm way using fault injection, and resource
starvation; relies on their proprietary tool Holodeck)

The Shellcoder's Handbook, Aitel and others (One of several on how to hack software)

Database Hacker's Handbook, David and Mark Litchfield, others

The Shellcoder's Handbook, Aitel and others (One of several on how to hack software)

Database Hacker's Handbook, David and Mark Litchfield

-Subset: Web

See WASC List above.

Arian J. Evans
FishNet Security

816.421.6611 [office]
816.701.2045 [direct] <--checked infrequently
888.732.9406 [toll-free]
816.421.6677 [fax]
913.710.7045 [mobile] <--daily/international access
aevans () fishnetsecurity com [email]

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com