WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: (clarification) GET and POST Methods Accepted

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:51:24 +1000

The primary reason for discouraging the use of GET is the "Qantas Club" (=kiosk / untrusted PC) information disclosure scenario, where the user has to rush off to catch a plane, but has [ no time / forgets / cant ] sanitize their session.

Many frameworks (PHP and many J2EE implementations included) use "transparent" relocation of the cookie to GET, and coupled with GET state and poor authorization, replay is possible with poor quality apps.

If it's something like "transfer.php? acct=74387483&to=4384378&amt=4343" it becomes trivial for beginners to tamper with fields as well as for a slightly more advanced attacker (e.g. my Mum) to see the history of the application. Browsers do not obscure HTTPS sessions in their history, so even though SSL should prevent MITM sniffing, it doesn't protect against end PC inspection.

I can remember doing code reviews back a number of years (as early as 2000) where I tested for information leakage in the browser history and if I could replay it. Back then, it was trivial. Certainly, there is no harm is testing for it these days. I caught out a ServletExec based app this last April with this same tactic that yielded me Admin credentials over the application. I'm under NDA about another scenario which is biting us hard right now in exactly the same fashion but I can't spill the beans without a lot of alcohol induced bribery.

thanks,
Andrew