WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Application Assessment

From: "Mark Curphey" <mark () curphey com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:21:21 -0400

Criteria for an assessment tool should not be driven (or created) by tools
vendors but by must be created by an independent body. I know of enough
banks and large companies who would come together to define the criteria and
I heard about a NIST project that is relevant. NIST seems like the only
suitable candidate to me. This kind of credibility and independence IMHO is
what would produce credible results.

I actually think its relatively easy to come up with a good set of criteria.
You need to mimic whats out there in the real world. Real world sites range
from small simple sites to large complex ones. Vulnerabilities range from
obvious simple ones to non-trivial complex ones. A testing framework needs
to mimic this and capture results in a repeatable and consistent and fair
manner. If everyone is testing against the same benchmark then results are
comparative anyways. Some tools will be better at some things that others.
That's valuable in itself.

If the car industry created safety standards then we would have rubber band
seat belts ;-)